Thursday, May 2, 2013
The Citroën 2CV (French: "deux chevaux" i.e. "deux chevaux-vapeur" (lit. 'steam horses'), "two tax horsepower") was an economy car produced by the French car manufacturer Citroën between 1948 and 1990.
The engine was designed by Walter Becchia and Lucien Gerard, with a nod to the classic "boxer" BMW motorcycle engine (it is reported that Becchia dismantled the engine of the BMW motorcycle of Flaminio Bertoni before designing the 2CV engine). It was an air-cooled, flat-twin, four-stroke, 375 cc engine with pushrod operated overhead valves and a hemispherical combustion chamber. The notoriously underpowered earliest model developed only 9 bhp DIN (6.5 kW).
A 425 cc engine was introduced in 1955, followed in 1968 by a 602 cc one giving 28 bhp (21 kW) at 7,000 rpm. With the 602 cc engine, the tax classification of the car changed so that it became in fact a 3CV, but the commercial name remained unchanged. A 435 cc engine was introduced at the same time in replacement of the 425 cc; the 435 cc engine car was christened 2CV 4 while the 602 cc took the name 2CV 6 (although a variant did take the name 3CV in Argentina). The 602 cc engine evolved to the M28 33 bhp (25 kW) in 1970; this was the most powerful engine fitted to the 2CV. A new 602 cc giving only 29 bhp (22 kW) at a slower 5,750 rpm was introduced in 1979. Despite being less powerful, this engine was more efficient, allowing lower fuel consumption and better top speed, at the price of decreased acceleration.
Saturday, April 20, 2013
Among the cars in Texas enthusiast Don Davis’s great collection, which will all be sold ‘without reserve’ by RM Auctions on April 27, 2013, there are plenty of big and beautiful American machines. Most are incredibly rare and all are spotless, but the red lettering down the sides of one particular car draws the eyes immediately. Perhaps it is appropriate that our eyes should follow Davis’s 1941 Chrysler Newport. It did, after all, serve as the pace car in the Indianapolis 500.
With the dual blows of the Great Depression and the slightly less disastrous Airflow, Chrysler spent the late-1930s building conservatively designed and engineered automobiles. But designer Ralph Roberts of LeBaron recognized that as the nation and the company recovered, Chrysler would benefit from some the addition of some high style to its lineup.
What Roberts had in mind was a dual cowl phaeton, a body style that had disappeared from Chryslers after 1933. For the dual cowl’s revival, he combined the old-fashioned body style with exotic baroque curves inspired by aircraft design, including flowing envelope fenders, a fully disappearing fabric top, and headlights that disappeared behind flush-fitting retractable covers. Even the rear cowl was electronically raised and lowered, to ease passenger entry and exit. The result, dubbed the Newport, was so striking that it moved even Chrysler chief K.T. Keller, a known proponent of conservative design.
The car shown here was the only Newport built with open headlights, giving it a unique front-end appearance. It is also, perhaps, the most famous example, having served as the Pacemaker of the 1941 Indianapolis 500, the last one held before World War II. Period footage of the race survives at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of Fame, clearly showing this Newport, with its distinctive open headlights, leading the field around the Brickyard. Interestingly, the Newport was, up to that time, the only non-production automobile to have ever paced at Indianapolis. This did not happen again until the Dodge Viper prototype ran in 1989, and the Newport remains the last custom-bodied automobile to have paced Indianapolis.
It was common in this relaxed era for auto industry executives to commandeer unique prototypes for their personal use. In the case of the Pacemaker Newport, it passed into the hands of Walter P. Chrysler Jr., son of the company’s late founder and namesake, who had it repainted light green and used it while vacationing on Cape Cod. The car was eventually traded into a Chevrolet dealer in Provincetown, Massachusetts, probably by the second owner. It was stored by the next owner in his barn for 30 years, before being sold in July 1989 to A.J. “Tony” Pascucci and his son John, noted collectors who revealed it to the enthusiast community after decades of hiding.
It then passed through the hands of prominent collectors Jim Kaufmann and Roger Willbanks. In Willbanks’ hands, the Newport, repainted Chrysler’s green and with the Pacemaker lettering reapplied, appeared at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in 2003. Appropriately, it was chosen that same weekend to pace the course, this time at the Monterey Historic races at the Laguna Seca Raceway.
The Newport was next acquired by a Texas collector, whose shop restored it to its original appearance, including the correct bronze finish it had worn at Indy. The restoration took thousands of man hours to complete, with no area of the car untouched. Passed not long after into the hands of Mr. Don Davis, the Pacemaker has resided with him since, and it has been maintained in concours condition and stands today as well as it did in 1941.
This 1941 Chrysler Newport is available at the upcoming RM Auctions Don Davis Collection sale, scheduled for April 27, 2013 in Fort Worth, Texas. It carries a pre-sale estimate of $900,000 to $1,200,000.
Entre los coches de gran colección de Tejas entusiasta de Don Davis, que todo ser vendido "sin reservas" por RM Auctions el 27 de abril de 2013, hay un montón de grandes y hermosas máquinas americanas. La mayoría son muy raros y todos son impecables, pero la letras rojas a los lados de un vehículo particular, dibuja de inmediato los ojos. Tal vez sea conveniente que nuestros ojos deben seguir la Davis 1941 Chrysler Newport. No tenía, después de todo, servir como el coche de seguridad en la Indianapolis 500.
Unter den Autos in große Sammlung Texas Enthusiasten Don Davis ', die alle verkauft werden, "ohne Reserve" werden von RM Auctions am 27. April 2013, gibt es viele große und schöne amerikanischen Maschinen. Die meisten sind unglaublich selten und alle sind makellos, aber der rote Schriftzug an den Seiten von einem bestimmten Auto zieht die Augen sofort. Vielleicht ist es angemessen, dass unsere Augen sollte Davis 1941 Chrysler Newport folgen. Es dauerte immerhin als Pace Car in der Indianapolis 500 zu dienen.
Friday, April 12, 2013
The BMW 5 Series is an executive car manufactured by German automaker BMW since 1972. The car, now in its sixth generation, is sold in sedan and touring body styles. It is BMW's second best-selling model after the 3-Series but represents about 50% of the company's profits.
On January 29, 2008, the 5 millionth 5 Series was manufactured, a 530d Saloon in Carbon Black Metallic.
BMW 5 Series (E34) (1988 - 1995) Description & History
BMW 5 Series (E34) 520i (1988 - 1995) dimensions, ground clearance, fuel, acceleration
- 1991 cm3
- 95 KW @ 6000 RPM
129 HP @ 6000 RPM
127 BHP @ 6000 RPM
- 120 lb-ft @ 4250 RPM
162 Nm @ 4250 RPM
- Fuel System
- Multipoint Injection
- CO2 Emissions
- 240 g/km
- Top Speed
- 126.1 mph OR 203 km/h
- Acceleration 0-62 Mph (0-100 kph)
- 11.8 s
- 17.3 mpg US OR 13.6 L/100Km
- 31.4 mpg US OR 7.5 L/100Km
- 23.3 mpg US OR 10.1 L/100Km
- Drive Type
- Rear Wheel Drive
- Manual, 5 Speed
- Tire Size
- 195/65 HR15
- 185.8 in OR 4719 mm
- 68.9 in OR 1750 mm
- 55.5 in OR 1410 mm
- Front/rear Track
- 57.9/59.1 in OR 1,471/1,501 mm
- 108.7 in OR 2761 mm
- Ground Clearance
- 5.9 in OR 150 mm
- Cargo Volume
- 16.2 cuFT OR 459 L
- Unladen Weight
- 3086.5 lbs OR 1400 kg
- Gross Weight Limit
- 4210.8 lbs OR 1910 kg
The third generation 5 Series earned awards for safety and reliability. The BMW E34 was one of BMW's most successful cars, with several different models. These included:
1990–1994 BMW 518i - 1.8 L M40B18 I4 113 PS (83 kW; 111 hp)
1995–1996 BMW 518i - 1.8 L M43B18 I4 115 PS (85 kW; 113 hp)
1995–1996 BMW 518g (CNG) Touring - 1.8 L M43B18 I4
1988–1990 BMW 520i - 2.0 L M20B20 I6 122 PS (90 kW; 120 hp)
1988–1990 BMW 520i ECE - 2.0 L M20B20 I6 129 PS (95 kW; 127 hp)
higher compression than non
ECE 1991–1996 BMW 520i - 2.0 L M50B20 I6 150 PS (110 kW; 148 hp)
1988–1991 BMW 524td - 2.4 L M21 I6 diesel
1993–1995 BMW 525td - 2.5 L M51D25 UL I6 115 PS (85 kW; 113 hp) diesel
1991–1995 BMW 525tds - 2.5 L M51D25 OL I6 143 PS (105 kW; 141 hp) diesel
1988–1990 BMW 525i - 2.5 L M20B25 I6 170 PS (125 kW; 168 hp)
1991–1996 BMW 525i - 2.5 L M50B25 I6 192 PS (141 kW; 189 hp)
1992–1995 BMW 525iX - 2.5 L M50B25 I6 192 PS (141 kW; 189 hp)
1988–1990 BMW 530i - 3.0 L M30B30 I6 188 PS (138 kW; 185 hp)
1993–1995 BMW 530i - 3.0 L M60B30 V8 218 PS (160 kW; 215 hp)
1988–1992 BMW 535i - 3.4 L M30B35 I6 211 PS (155 kW; 208 hp)
1993–1995 BMW 540i - 4.0 L M60B40 V8 286 PS (210 kW; 282 hp)
1989–1992 BMW M5 - 3.5 L S38B36 I6, 315 PS (232 kW; 311 hp)
1992–1995 BMW M5 - 3.8 L S38B38 I6, 340 PS (250 kW; 335 hp)
1989–1990 BMW 525i - 2.5 L M20B25 I6, 168 hp (125 kW; 170 PS)
1989–1993 BMW 535i - 3.4 L M30B35 I6, 208 hp (155 kW; 211 PS)
1991–1993 BMW M5 - 3.5 L S38B36 I6, 310 hp (231 kW; 314 PS)
1991–1995 BMW 525i - 2.5 L M50B25 I6, 189 hp (141 kW; 192 PS)
1994–1995 BMW 530i - 3.0 L M60B30 V8, 215 hp (160 kW; 218 PS)
1994–1995 BMW 540i - 4.0 L M60B40 V8, 282 hp (210 kW; 286 PS)
Monday, April 1, 2013
It was, as it would remain, the top-of-the-line model, with lesser Oldsmobiles having lower numbers such as the A-body 66 and 68, and the B-body 76 and 78. The Series 60 was retired in 1949, the same year the Oldsmobile 78 was replaced by the 88. The Oldsmobile 76 was retired after 1950.
This left the two remaining number-names to carry on into the 1990s as the bread and butter of the full-size Oldsmobile lineup until the Oldsmobile Regency replaced the 98 in 1997. Occasionally additional nomenclature was used with the name, such as L/S and Holiday, and the 98 Regency badge would become increasingly common in the later years of the model.
The Oldsmobile 98 eighth generation (1971–1976)
Oldsmobile built its biggest full-size car in 1971 although wheelbase was unchanged from 1970. The 98s were the roomiest Oldsmobiles ever built thanks to the new GM full-size bodies which, at 64.3" front shoulder room and 63.4" rear shoulder room, set a record for interior width that would not be matched by any car until the full-size GM rear-wheel drive models of the early to mid-1990s.
Oldsmobile 88 (which by now was called the "Delta 88") except the Ninety-Eight had a longer passenger compartment owing to its 3" longer wheelbase, and had rear Cadillac-esque tailfins to better differentiate between the two full-size models. The standard 455 cubic-inch Rocket V8 was rated at 320 hp (239 kW) and designed to run on lower octane regular lead, low-lead or unleaded gasoline for the first time this year thanks to a General Motors-mandate that all engines be designed to run on such fuels in preparation for the catalytic converter equipped cars of 1975 and later years that absolutely required unleaded gasoline.
From 1971 to 1976, Oldsmobile's full-sized Custom Cruiser station wagon shared the 127.0-inch (3,230 mm) wheelbase and 455 cubic-inch V8 with the Oldsmobile 98, and shared its interior and exterior styling, in particular the 98's distinctive front fascia and rear quarter panels complete with fender skirts. These were the first Oldsmobile station wagons ever to be built on Oldsmobile's largest chassis. The Custom Cruiser wagons, as did other GM full-sized wagons during these years, used a unique rear suspension with multi-leaf springs instead of the coil springs used on other full-sized Oldsmobiles, and other full-sized GM cars.
The Custom Cruiser wagons also featured a new 'Clamshell' tailgate design where the rear power-operated glass slid up into the roof as the tailgate (manually or with power assist), slid into a recess under the cargo floor. The power tailgate, the first in station wagon history, ultimately supplanted the manual tailgate, which required marked effort to lift from storage. It was operated by switches on the instrument panel or a key switch on the rear quarter panel. The Clamshell system, heavy and complex, made it easier to load and unload the extremely long wagons in tight spaces. But it remained un-adopted by any other manufacturer, and would be eliminated when GM reduced the length of their wagons by about a foot in 1977, and the overriding concern became increased fuel economy.
At 5,161 lb (2,341 kg) shipping weight (5,186 lb (2,352 kg) with woodgrain), or about 5,400 lb (2,400 kg) curb weight, the three-seat 1974 Custom Cruiser wagons are easily the heaviest Oldsmobiles ever built.
The number of body styles was reduced to four for 1971. The convertible was gone as were the 4-door sedan body styles. A new body style was the Luxury Coupe. For the first time ever all Oldsmobile 98s were now hardtops, and for the first time since 1964 not all hardtops were called Holidays (in fact the Prestige Brochure fails to use the term at all). Standard equipment included: armrests, front and rear, power brakes with front discs, electric clock, carpeting, inside hood release, lamp package, power seat, power steering and Turbo-Hydramatic transmission. Standard tire size was J78-15. Interiors were vinyl, cloth and leather. Ninety-Eights were built in both Linden and Lansing.
Four body styles were offered in the 98 series for 1972. Standard equipment included: Deluxe armrests, dual ashtrays, power brakes with front discs, electric clock, carpeting, interior hood release, remote control outside mirror, molding package, interior light package, windshield radio antenna, power seat, power steering, spare tire cover and Turbo-Hydramatic transmission. A midyear version of the 4-door hardtop named the Regency was produced to commemorate Oldsmobile's 75th year as an automaker. For the first time in 17 years the 98 set a new sales record of 121,568.
In 1973 a five body style 98 series was at the top end of the Oldsmobile line. The 75th anniversary Regency 4-door hardtop continued, following its successful mid-1972 introduction. Standard equipment included: Deluxe armrests, dual ashtrays, power brakes with front discs, cigarette lighter, carpeting, inside hood release, dome light, molding package, windshield radio antenna, foam sheet cushions, power steering, Deluxe steering wheel, Turbo-Hydramatic transmission and wheel opening covers. Standard tire size was L78-15. Upholstery was vinyl or cloth. The Oldsmobile 98 set another record of 138,462 sold.
The 1974 Ninety-Eight was now Oldsmobile's longest running series dating back to 1941, and was still popular. Five models were offered with the Regency Coupe taking the place of the Luxury Coupe. Standard equipment included: power brakes with front discs, cigarette lighter, electric clock, interior hood release, lamp package, molding package, remote control outside mirror, windshield radio antenna, power steering, Deluxe steering wheel, spare tire cover, power windows, power seat and Turbo-Hydramatic transmission. Standard tire size was J78-15. Upholstery was vinyl, cloth or leather.
From 1974 to 1975 the 98 reached a record length of 232.4 in (5903 mm), when federally mandated 5 mph (8.0 km/h) bumpers were added both front and rear increasing the overall length of the cars by several inches, while 1976 model year saw minimal length reduction to 232.2 in (5898 mm). It is also worth to note that 1974 Oldsmobile 98 4-door hardtop was longest car with that body style sold that year, since longer Lincoln Continental, Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and Fleetwood 75 were basically sedans (and 1974 Lincoln Continental came only with one hardtop body style: the 2-door). The 1974-76 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight (as well as all full-size Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Cadillacs) also were among the first US production cars to offer an air bag option ("Air Cushion Restraint System") beginning in 1974. Very few cars were so equipped. The high cost ($700) plus public uncertainty about the yet-to-be proven safety systems that are now universal in today's automobiles saw quite handily to that.
The number of 98 body styles was reduced in 1975. Four were available consisting of coupes or 4-door hardtops in Luxury or Regency trim. Two door models were no longer hardtops. Standard equipment included: power brakes with front discs, cigarette lighter, electric clock, electronic ignition, hood release, bumper impact strips, lamp package, 455 CID engine, molding package, remote-controlled outside mirror, power seat, power windows, power steering, Deluxe steering wheel, chrome wheel discs and Turbo-Hydramatic transmission. Standard tire size was J78-15. Upholstery was vinyl, cloth or leather.
In 1976 the Luxury and Regency editions of the full-size 98s were offered, in 2-door coupes or 4-door hardtops. 4-doors had an extra window (like an opera window) in the C-pillar. A landau roof option for the coupe gave it a huge-looking opera window. Like the Custom Cruiser, 98s had a dual section eggcrate-design grille, with new front end panel, front bumper, and wraparound horizontal parking lamps. Amber marker lenses aligned with the headlamps wrapped around the fender sides. Separate clear cornering lamps had horizontal ribs. Vertical tailamps were decorated with a small emblem in each lens. Tiny back-up lamps stood alongside the license plate, on a panel that also contained small red lenses next to the tailamps. Standard 98 equipment included a 455 CID Rocket V8 with 4-barrel carburetor, Turbo-Hydramatic, vari-ratio power steering, power brakes, power driver's seat, driver's door armrest control console, electronic message center, electric clock, fold-down center armrests, front ashtray, and JR78 x 15 blackwall steel-belted radials. Rear fender skirts and bumper impact strips were also standard. A new 2.41:1 axle ratio became standard to improve fuel economy.
Searches related to Oldsmobile 98
oldsmobile 98 touring sedan for sale
oldsmobile 98 touring sedan
oldsmobile 98 regency for sale
oldsmobile 98 forum
oldsmobile 98 regency brougham
oldsmobile 98 convertible for sale
oldsmobile 98 regency elite
oldsmobile 98 parts